Popular Posts

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Idea Book 260 You're Under Arrest edition!

Bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

Three themes down and 1 to go... that will be the sum total of 260, and then... who knows what will happen?

This journey down memory lane is brought to you by the idea book I received from my best friend as a youngster... I think his family picked it for me because it was cheap... costly mistake ;)























Space Police made out like a bandit in this idea book.  ,

Check out that monorail... it has a few miss-chosen colors, but that is fair compensation for disassembling 6990.  There's even a tower with a lift to go ride it

A truck roams the horizon as the search tower guard and his sentry spot something threatening this little outpost.

And here are the instructions.  We see several items from the prior page as well as a few extra vehicles... and a suspicious looking Monorail passenger.  

The rover from page 1 is present, you can see a double cell build, there's a light up truck, and in the foreground a space scooter zips by.  I wish the scooter had a bit more clarity.  You can see the robocop putting one prisoner in while another looks to make a break for it.
Here's the tower from the main page, and the little rover we'll build.

This tower, seen from the front page, has a lift to get up to the base level.  It resides on the old fashioned crater plate... which is still one of the best plate molds ever made by the Danish toy manufacturer.  Space walls, raised girders, antennae... it looks like a fun quick build.  The spaceship in front of it carries a jail cell and uses a tiny wheelwell plate for the radar.  Overall very nice.

This is just all the part goodness... black space wheels, corner quarter domes in transparent red, a radar dish... lovely.
The Police cruiser and Robot require a distribution of parts from all the Internationally released Space Police models.  i.e. No need to break apart Lock Up Isolation Base for this rundown.  

1.

2

4

1

2

4

1

1









3

1

2

1

6

2


1

3
1
1
1

1
1

1
2

2
 2


First up... Robocop, with his toothy grin and flashy taser.  He'll scuttle about and make a great sentry

Play elements are spare.  His eyes can look up, he can swivel his head, and the arms can swing in and out.  As a brick built bot it's decent... He's the right size for the intended play interaction, if a bit chunky by modern standards.

The Police Cruiser is on par with Message Decoder.  It lacks logos or insignia, but does carry around a Prisoner, albeit cabled in, rather than jailed.  


The model has more in common with Classic Space sets such as Surface Transport than it does with the main models from Space Police.



Of course, robocop wants to ride too.  

If you look at the car as a robosentry transporter it makes just a bit more sense.  He's wobbly, but snug.  In fact, I'm sure the Blacktron guy doesn't mind sharing... just this once.

Two whole builds and some swank looking concepts.  I won't deny the appeal of this police lineup given the book ideas.

On the whole the section for Space Police has some cool vintage concepts which look decipherable.  I only regret the lack of any big ships or rovers.  In the effort to make sure kids could actually build these things the designers made everything small, spare, and skeletal.   The goal here seems to encourage disassembly, get kids started, and then cut them loose to build more impressive ideas of their own accord.  That aside... I wouldn't mind seeing the designers cut loose and really outdo themselves, but in this book that doesn't really happen for Space Police; on the plus side the Space Police monorail is the book's best lunar model by far.

Static crackling
Do ya wanna break a moonbase? It doesn't hafta be for fun, we could do it while we're on the clock, near sector spock... there'll be nowhere to run! We can mess things up for Futuron, con those M:Tron, and fight off the Space Police... do ya wanna break a moonbase, it doesn't hafta be a moonbase..... 

Go away Blacktron... 



ok bye...


8 comments:

Nachos Grande said...

I had that book as a kid and then rebought it from eBay as an adult collector. I used to love the Forestmen diarama and the MTron scene.

The Cure-all Pill said...

I still have my original... it's showing its age and the stickers are all gone... I kind of wish I hadn't used the stickers, but then again... they were all town related so it's not a huge loss. The Forestmen definitely had the coolest diorama. Bridges, tree forts, sneaky sneaky. I'm tempted to collect those guys just because I will have two of them already just by virtue of collecting the space sets in multi-theme packs.

The M:Tron scene is here for anyone who just arrived.
http://cureallpill.blogspot.com/2015/02/mtron-in-260-idea-book.html

zoli said...

Won't you build the rover? Seems like awsome for me.

The Cure-all Pill said...

Is it the big wheeler? I really do want to build that one... currently I've been cracking away at the M:Tron examples from that part of the idea book. The models call for more of some parts than exist in the sets if I want to build them all together and that's been a mild source of frustration.

zoli said...

Yes, with the quarter dome. A bit enriched it would be killer. Maybe I will try if I find corners cheap.

zoli said...

Hehe, the rover is in progress. Two of them, actually. :D

The Cure-all Pill said...

How weird... I was just thinking about your request this morning/last night? It's been a long day; and whether I should get on that since the sets are partially broken down. It would be far easier to do than the big review of Message Intercept Base that I'm putting off because I know how much time that will take. 6990 took 20 hours and... Multi Core Magnetizer took similar... and I never could shake the feeling that I could have made them better than they turned out. Of course with a good camera things go faster... my early blog posts were battles with my unsteady hands and punishingly blurry Fujifilm A500 which has not been turned on since the Windows phone with industry best, for 3 years ago, camera arrived. I am working on the trio pack for Blacktron... in case anyone looking at the comments is wondering where this blogger's hiding out... and my Lego collection from the lifetime of me is back out and setup and I built a spaceship last night on a whim and a fly. An earlier attempt at a castle demonstrated the sad ard truth that I like Castle sets but don't have any passionate investment in building my own.

zoli said...

LOL, we are really soulmates. :D I feel the same about castles: I love them, I had some of them (smaller things, wall section scenes), but that's just too big to dive into. Maybe once all space stuff are revisited, rebuilt, modified, etc. Maybe. But now it feels I would divide my heart. :D So if you should dive into that: I am with you! But if not, I do understand your feelings. Up for the mini-trak challenge!