Popular Posts

Monday, April 23, 2018

Futuron Snowspeeder

One of my favorite Lego sets during the highschool period was Snowspeeder... yeah we've gotten better ones, but it was 1999, I got it in 2000.  At one time this Lego set was super cool stuff. 














At the time these new Star Wars sets were my best source for a classical Space theme experience, and the new Transblack windows were a really awesome advancement from the older Space canopy shapes.













I wanted to see if my Bricklink parts ordering, which I'd been keeping up studiously for 5 years but not really using for anything, could get me a convincing recolor. 











I made some light adjustments when I realized I was missing the appropriate window for the back.  I'm sure Chrystal Search Sub will forgive me for my sudden yet inevitable betrayal.











I think the Futuron Snowspeeder turned out excellent, and to this day I've never bought an Alpha team set, but I sure did pick up a lot of the unique transparent elements from its first wave.















I thought it turned out so well I went for an all original coloring attempt on the X-wing using a Bricklinked red canopy... sourced again, from wave 1 of Alpha Team.

















I think the result came out a bit muddled by comparison.  The cart turned out quite nice, so you win some you lose some.







I also learned that the Lego group had adjusted the gloss on Brick red/dark red parts to more of a Matte in recent sets.  Both variants are on this MOC, and in real life the two variants clash more aggressively than the picture would seem to indicate. 













I also tried to fit in my Belleville derived blue rocket tips.  You know, this is what happens when you throw everything and the kitchen sink at a project.










I might try another variant more in tune with a theme specific coloring later, but for now...
It's somewhere between cool and... kinda all over the place, but no where near something that looks as good as it could right now. 













I'm getting close to finished with the Message Intercept Base post, if you've been waiting.  It should be done by the end of April.  But I think my brothers are wanting to play Smash Brothers, so I gotta jet.

~Sincerely, Cure-all Pill

2 comments:

Formendacil said...

Long time away--but TWO new posts!

I actually made a recoloured X-Wing once (also from the original 1999 Star Wars series)--Link to my defunct blog's post about it. Building old sets with whatever parts I have available is something I've done a few times for my comic, and I find it really soothing and fun.

The Futuron snowspeeder is fantastic--I have the windscreen from 3439 Spy Runner, which was kind of a weird, theme-less plane from 2000. It's currently sitting on an Explorien MOC. (My love of Spyrius and Exploriens means I quite agree that trans-dk-blue is the best windscreen colour, and throw in some love for Futuron in there and it's hard to get enough of it.).

The Cure-all Pill said...

I too am infrequently here now and I somehow missed your comment, or simply didn't reply, I hope you don't mind that I treat the period between 2016 and 2020 like a collapsed period of time... but that is what I do.
I priced the Spy Runner not too terribly long ago and was surprised at how comparably inexpensive next to Old Space sets 3439's sealed copies still are. If I wasn't still buying Old Space sets it would be supremely compelling to grab a copy. I tend to use recolors as building periods to justify to myself that having the Lego is good and still worthwhile after long stretches of not using it, it is kinda nice to build a known design on a bit of autopilot, and I've been able to emotionally switch over to MOCing from there once I get everything out and opened up for a bit of quick building shifting into massive undertakings I've actually been contemplating a simple color swap for a Classic Space set all day. but the highlight piece of the swap is attached to something right now and I don't want to break it... Today I wish I could have an infinite number of infinite pieces stored in infinite space so I could just build and never disassemble anything... thanks for commenting on my blog, I appreciate it.