Popular Posts

Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Lego Movie

 


I've just been out to see the Lego Movie, and everything was awesome!  Somehow I missed this trailer, but it is very indicative of the movie you will see.



The folks who made this movie brought their A-game, we got a movie with Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Jonah Hill, and Will Ferrell.  What a supreme cast list, Can you believe it, I was looking up the rating on Rotten Tomatometer before I went and the movie was getting 96% from the critics.

Prior to release I was wondering how badly the Lego movie would bomb, but once I saw it, I learned something, the movie was made with the same care and attention to detail and quality that has been a perennial goal of this company since its founding.

I had few hopes when the Teaser came out, it was shaky at best, some scenes felt too long, and the jokes felt stale...okay, I liked Batman's line, "I only work in black, and sometimes very very dark grey."  As it turns out, Batman was a very big part of this movie, and he was not the only good thing that was on offer.  Memo to self...don't trust a teaser.


My main reason for going was to see Spaceman Benny
 
because Spaceship...Spaceship...SPACESHIP!
 
I will be getting this...count on it.

There's also this character named Princess Unikitty.  I saw it in the toys and was taken aback to put it gently.  But after seeing the movie this character stood out as a very fun and inventive twist on what I can only assume is a send up to My Little Pony.  Not too sure though as I am not a Brony.

This character is responsible for my favorite moment in the movie, but you'll have to see it for yourself to find out why.

Remember these words,"Only the Best is Good Enough."  I felt those words coursing through this movie, Ole Kirk Christiansen would be proud.

If there was one area where I might express some concern, I felt the still images that referenced each dimension were a bit too product placementish, and I would have appreciated a classier approach, but at least they served a storytelling purpose.

Unfortunately I can't say much without spoilering the ending, but take it from me, a decidedly old school Lego fan, this was awesome, and at least for me, its toyline is the most exciting new original product line I've seen since Aquazone debuted in 1995.
There's so much I could talk about, so grab the DVD and check this movie out before I get a chance to spoil it for you, it's not just a good Lego movie, it's a fun film for the whole family.

The LEGO Movie (Blu-ray + DVD + UltraViolet Combo Pack)












Final Grade: A
Pros: Everything is Awesome!
Cos: Dimensional travel exposition is littered with product placement.

No comments: