Popular Posts

Friday, April 4, 2014

6990 Alternate: Monorail Service Depot

I promised more Alternates for 6990 Monorail Transport System.

Here's number 2.

















The idea behind this model is to expand the Monorail play options.  I envisioned the Spaceship as a transporter in keeping with Futuron's tradition of carrying a smaller vehicle inside.  6990 throws a wrench at the flying vehicle with rover method since it doesn't use traditional wheels anywhere in the set.  

















To compensate for the missing wheels I pulled off one of the train bogeys, and used a simple method shown in the alternates on 6990's packaging.   This in turn led to me developing a simple back story of the spaceship dropping its car straight onto monorail track.  So I built a small base around this concept and let my part restrictions become a gateway to the new idea.

















I made an effort to give the spacecraft some nice engine detailing, The engine was the first part of the model that came together, at this point, I hadn't even considered the base portion.

















The landing pad was determined by the positioning of the ship's landing gear.  Despite being plain, I really like the purposeful positioning of the pads.  And in the back I built a communications station alongside the track that can receive communications about sections of Monorail that have been damaged by invading Black-Tron forces.  

















Originally I envisioned a short cockpit alongside the extended cockpit but this design was axed when I determined to add on a vehicle and realized my design was too low swept to comfortably hide the car under a window.





















With all the extra space under the long window I added some tool slots for the Futuron Pilot to use on site. 

















Add on a couple high powered laser guns and you have a workhorse that can defend itself in conflict Zones.  As they say in Dune; the spice must flow.  Keep the supply routes open and you win the conflict.

Those are my thoughts on the design process, as you can see in the background shots there were still many pieces available to expand on my build.  Overall 6990 displays a rich assortment of parts for creative pursuits.

Peace out,
Cure-all Pill

1 comment:

Dan said...

Man I really dig that alternate build. Lego Space underutilized asymmetry. I think the Blacktron Renegade was the only set with significant asymmetry but my memory is probably failing me.