Popular Posts

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Futuron 6953: Cosmic Laser Launcher: The other three box alternates

I feel like there have been a lot of breaks in posting recently... Anyhow, to ensure I get back to the usual business of reviewing Blacktron models I'll get down to the remainder of Cosmic Laser Launcher's alternates all at once because I have pictures and they've been ready for a month.
At some point I also want to update the main post... it's looking worse for wear as I've continued improving my methods.





































So Alternative 2... because I did one already.

Cosmic Bottle Rocket tracking HQ














As you can see I added an, in set, technic axle to make the rocket look like it's propelling upward, and I assume the little car will help the station track the rocket's trajectory.  This feels like massive overkill for the hobbyist pursuit of toy rocket launching.















The main base has some catwalks and computer terminals as well as two movable antennae, but the lack of interactive bits comparable to the scale is just a bit dampening to the otherwise attractive layout.  I like the curved bricks for texture... they remind me of the radar dish flourishes from 6990.


















The Car has a massive footprint and a hefty tracking radar which spins to improve signal reception.






















While I like the conceit and see potential in this wheel configuration it just doesn't look very good, or offer good play value for its size.  It also doesn't turn well when moving on a flat surface.  
























While I'm on this alternative... have you ever played with model rockets, they're a lot of fun... kinda like fishing, once you launch the rocket in the air or cast the lure in a rocky river, you might never see your lure or rocket again.  Also brambles.

I prefer spending my time and money on Lego... sure, you may lose these things too... but at least you can check the vacuum cleaner bag, I still remember finding my clear diver snorkel mask in there when I didn't even know it was missing... save!

Bricklink Entry: Diver Mask Clear if you've never heard of these sets... they were cool, I still have the 6555 Sea Hunter because that's the kind of pocket change I had back in my day.  My sawfish sharks nose was one of my bro's chewtoys sadly... so it's a bit nicked in the nose.



















Where was I?  Oh yes, and the point of that thing about hobby rockets is that I don't much care for hobbies where things going missing is an essential part of the experience.

My boy scout buddies and I did recover some of the rockets, and I have a crazy memory about a guy recovering my favorite lure from the river by casting his line with precision into the Thornapple river... like this guy was a pro or something... he did it in one try.  And I never let my dad borrow that lure again.

Alternative 3:

An oven shaped robot with mitts for hands and Rudolph the rednosed biplane.
















This spaceship is OK... I kinda like the other one from the back of the box more, but... there's some good stuff here.  The main ship uses the two weird space panel windows in trans blue.  By my own opinion they're kind of an awkward shape and thus begging the question; what should I build with them?  And the biplane rigging is essentially built up via the angled girders. These girders get you some height very fast; 5 bricks worth.  The girders are the only way to make a model like this from the set, the supply of bricks is minuscule.














You may have noticed the robot head snugged into the back there... I modded the design to carry it.

Here's the the way the box alt is built.




























 And I changed very little.  See the 2 2x4 slopes... note the altered positions and that's it.  Now there's room for the robot.                                                                                                                                  
















And it looks like this in the back.



 It actually stays in too.  Now you have a robot transporter!



















The robot is assembled much like the Cosmic Laser Launcher's toaster oven rocket.






















The robot's head doesn't move, but the arms do.  Though, they're kinda... I'm sure I could've modded something for the bot to hold... but I didn't and he isn't built right now.  The hands aren't very interesting... moving on.













































The spaceship has a good look, I think a beefier substructure could improve the overall feel.  The models construction options were hampered as always by Futuron's plate dependent construction ethos.















So, that's it for the second alternative, Overall, I think this one came out looking pretty good, it's not a pretty model, but it's adaptable and provides some fun possibility's which encourage ongoing ideas in the pursuit of improvement.













Alternative 4:
This model is very tall, and quite under built. The central platform can move to the left and to the right, and at first I didn't really know what to make of this base.
Like a bridge over lunar craters, I will... ahem, moving on.





















Not much to say about the car, it's got a hinged pair of turntables... kewl.  What's up with that?



















The platforms have some sensor arrays, and two console centers.  



















So I did this.
Spaceship Repair Station
You know what they say... use your head and while you're at it lay a spaceship on me.
It's absurd and I like it.




















I chose 6886 Galactic Peacekeeper because it was the only set that fit... I think 6875 Hovercraft had an engine conflict underneath.  So it missed the repair appointment.  You could always use it to repair your own design.  I went with the shiny and familiar option.






















Overall, with this, no mods needed, change to the repair tower I declare this alternative my favorite; It's still in need of some major structural improvements.  Look at those girder stacks; more can be done to make this base look really cool.



















Conclusion: 
I don't think Cosmic Laser Launcher was made with finished looking alternatives in mind, all of these models felt like table-scraps.  They're occasionally brilliant for exploring what's possible, but sorely lacking in fit and finish.

Until next time, The Cure-all Pill

No comments: