Popular Posts

Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Brief Diversion

I'm not ready with Lego Futuron's 6990 post yet, but here's a little stew of musings about Space Trains that I've thrown together.

Monorail Cuusoo.  I voted, how about you?  As you can see...it lost.
Idea Image

Lego was not the first to conceive of trains going into space.  I profess I am no expert on this topic, although I'd like to be.  The oldest story I know of involving Trains in Space is Night on the Galactic Railroad by Kenji Miyazawa.  This work was written in 1927; it was then published posthumously in 1934.  This story is about a boy accompanying his friend on a journey through space to the southern cross (thematically this journey is concerned with questions about true happiness and self sacrifice.) it's a story the author wrote as he was struggling with the death of his sister.
 http://kafkafuura.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/fs-bungaku-shoujo-memoir-02.jpg

I am more familiar with a newer TV series/movie that was developed off of Night on the Galactic Railroad.  I speak of my favorite retro tv series, Galaxy Express 999; You might say my appreciation for Leiji Matsumoto's epic space opera comes from my love of 6990...and Star Wars...and anime.  Galaxy Express 999 began serialization as a manga in 1977, a full decade before 6990 would appear under Christmas trees and almost a decade before I would exist.  It's got space trains, machine men, an homage to Star Wars, bright colors, and retro sci fi. It's worth a look for reference material, if you're into building Lego trains, and for its distinctive take on 70's space opera. 


Don't fret if you haven't heard of this show, it was big in Japan in the late 70s, but it's remained relatively obscure in America, though french readers might be somewhat more familiar with it.  It's streaming on Crunchyroll if you're willing to try it.  Galaxy-Express-999-TV 


Although the namesake train from the tv show does not look like 6990, there are some other trains in the show that resemble the sleek modern style that Lego would go on to use.  Here's a selection of the show's space trains to choose from. 

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/aucimg/8/8/8/5/0000748885.jpeg

Now let me draw your attention to Seunghoon Yoo's excellent Lego version of Galaxy Express 999 
If this were a Cuusoo project I'd vote for it; it's that well made.















I've put an embarrassingly large amount of time into 6990's blog entry and it's still not done yet. It's coming, I promise.


Once again I depart, but soon you will see what things I have for you; Adieu.

No comments: