Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Ideas 21109 ExoSuit Alternatives

This is the back of the LEGO Ideas Exo Suit 21109box














It gives the basic info about the Ideas program, shows off the platform and barrels, and names the green spacefarers.  But it lacks any alternates of any kind.

A good mark of any product from the Danish toymaker is its long term play prospects,  Will this product continue to entertain and delight with its possi-build-ities long into the night.  Does it offer something more?

Here to throw some light on that question, are a few alternates I've dug out of this particular mecha.

First up: Space Corridor, I must profess no skill in the art of Space Corridors, but I know when I see a good one.  ExoSuit seems to provide a good assortment of parts for the task, and in case you missed it, the rims are from SpeedRacer, they look like they've got some good options, and with Speed Racer being neither a new theme, nor a prolific one, this is the only current set to offer the rims at this time.















2nd up: Grand Prix
There are lots of round pieces in ExoSuit, and only a few ways to make them spin freely.  Feeling the challenge coming on I proceeded to build my racer and checkered flag.















Many of the bits, such as binoculars, and mostly the binoculars keep wanting to fall off my sculpted racer.  I've built an engine, free spinning friction-less wheels, headlights, cool steering levers, and a rad spoiler.  The checkered flag is the printed tile from the robot's underside.


Of course, there are other ways to make wheels spin in this model.  My attempt at a scooter didn't turn out so well...Oh wow, inspiration!
Gotta handle hazardous material?  Use these gyroscopically stabilized servo arms.

So I took what I learned and created this reactor leak playset.  Ugh, what a mess...

Finally, I took a page from the Classics and made this callback to Surface Hopper.

And that is Exosuit,  Unlike most of what I review ExoSuit is still easy to find.  If you like it and you want one keep in mind that it is retired and when it sells out its gone...insofar as they aren't making any more.  Nothing's ever truly gone when the Internet is here to help.


Until next time
The Cure-all Pill

No comments: