Popular Posts

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Futuron 6885 Crater Crawler ~ Alternate 2

This alternate was an insane challenge as I managed to finish it in about a dozen ways, until I found one I was happy with.  I kept going until the chassis was secure and proportions looked correct.



















I don't promise to have gotten it exact, but in a picture like this that may not be possible.  The point made is not that this must be done one way, but that I found many roads which lead to something approaching the finished product.  When I realized how many variations I could do with just 98 pieces I began to realize how much thought must have been put into this one design.











What can I say about the car?  Dang son, it looks good!















From a company product point of view it's easy to feel why this vehicle didn't become a set in Futuron's lineup. It has precious few grip points, and the window tips up at slight hand pressure, the wheels easily lose traction when the hand pressure is too feathery.  The window can be a grip point, but then you will have fingerprints all over it, and slight lift will open the cockpit.  Best bet...find a slope and let it roll away.












Given my difficulty finessing this thing I'll reveal the secrets behind those tyres.  I utilized zoom in my picture viewer...but even that wasn't able to get me much of a view of anything.   Ready? grab your megaphones and woila!















I puzzled this out for over an hour and had a few other methods which went to the cutting room floor because things like the upper headlight cluster had incorrect proportions.

Even so, the chassis is the one area I'm feeling dicey on...but everything's secured...car's not crumbling.  I can't see it anyway, so I selected to let it be and added the tapered plate for aesthetic bulking up and sleekness.

Drivers start your engines! Today marks the beginning of this rotation's galaxy famous Saturn 5000 Titan Dakar.























It looks like a crater crashing formula inspired dune buggy.


Check out this boss exhaust system as it drives away... Man I just love the transparent canopy in this set...my younger self wanted corner space windows so bad...the older self obliged.  Younger self was NOT wrong!  



















So far this is the coolest box derived alternate I've had the pleasure of deducing from a Futuron set, but there are many more waiting to be challenged; with that I end this second alternative review of 6885 Crater Crawler.

Until next time,

The Cure-all Pill

No comments: